All about Over the Range Microwave Oven
Over the Range Microwaves are in existence from many years. They are generally a space-saving type of microwaves that is, it occupies small space with limited functions and features. With the growing technology, the designs of over the range microwave have changed and became very competitive to counter models.
What is Over the Range Microwave?
The present Over the Range Microwave has many functions like grilling, defrosting while the space-saving feature remains the same with quite affordable and efficient energy. Over the Range Microwave can be placed conveniently and does the double duty as range vents. Over the Range or OTR microwave ovens one of the good choice, if you have limited space or if you prefer built-in appliances that match with rest of your kitchen appliances.
All about OTR Microwave Oven
Over the Range are specially designed for the job and as well as the vent to carry away the exhaust fumes from the stove. Generally, the vent is built into the wall and it will be easy when you are building or remodeling the kitchen. For the microwave to hang from you also need the cabinet. The cabinet not only gives the support but also contains all the wirings of microwave and may contain the part of venting. The price of OTR may be around $200 without the installation costs, which may vary. Although the OTR has built-in exhaust fan it won’t vent properly as a range hood. It takes around 2 hrs to hand the microwave from wall and cabinet, and more than 2hrs if venting and wiring are required.
Installation of Over the Range Microwave Oven
Below are the tools, materials, and step by step procedure for how to install the over the range microwave oven.
Tools required are:
- Wire cutters
- Tape measure
- Stud finder
- Needle-nose pliers
- Drywall saw
- Over the range microwave
- Outlet boxes
- Vent if needed
- Receptacle cover, if you require a new outlet
- Install vent: Set up the vent and plaster it with drywall. In order to access the vent cut the drywall with a drywall saw.
- Install outlet: Over the Range Microwaves are hanged from a cabinet. So install the outlet for microwave inside the cabinet.
- Position the fan: the microwave can emit through the roof or the wall. For some Microwaves, you can adjust the vent to control the air in the right directions. On others, including vent, you need to position the fan to control the air.
- Prepare the mounting plate: A mounting plate is attached to the wall and bolts from the bottom of the cabinet into the top of the microwave which gives support to the unit.
- Tape mounting the template: Many of the microwaves come with a template for mounting. Tape the template to the wall, drill the place shown in template and then remove the template. If there are no templates provided then follow the manufacturer instructions to place out the mounting holes.
- Attach the mounting plate: Attach the mounting plate to the wall. The correct and exact position will depend on the design of the plate and where the studs fall. You need to attach at least one stud and elsewhere you can use toggle bolts. Follow the directions said by the manufacturer.
- Hang microwave: Now hand the microwave on a mounting plate in a correct position by taking help of someone.
- Bolt microwave: Bolt the Over the Range Microwave to cabinet with the help of screwdriver by following the directions given by the manufacturer.
Over the Range Microwave Oven Buying Guide
There are some of the things to consider before buying an over the range microwave oven. Over the Range Microwave Oven buying guide will help you to choose the best among the microwaves available in the market. Buying the over the range microwave will drastically reduce the countertop space usage.
The size: these microwaves are available in many sizes. Before you purchase, decide which size is best and suits your place. Buying the bigger one microwave will be rarely troublesome, but if you buy a small one then you will be unhappy and feel inconvenient.
- Price: The price of over the range microwave ranges from $150-$999.
- Family members: If you are having a big family or usually have more family gatherings then prefer a bigger microwave which will be convenient and easy for you to cook larger.
- Materials and color: See that there are enough different features what you need in the microwave you have decided to buy. It will look better still if they are part of the kitchen even they are added after remodeling. They usually come in stainless steel, white or black. It all depends on you to select which one suits your kitchen the best.
- One touch feature: Most of the Over the Range ovens have lost of conveniences including the one-touch cooking.
- One touch cooking is one of the features you need to consider in your busy life schedule; you can heat up a casserole, frozen dinner and defrost meats and other such dishes without any trial or error. Just one touch, your dish is ready giving you time to do some other work.
- Warranty: Check for the warranty of the oven before you buy. Different manufacturers give different warranty depending on the model you buy.
Check with some other features also like total wattage, capacity, some other cooking features, and convection capabilities.